The Algorithm — a dangerous and powerful tyrant
Old Memes — benevolent, creatures of joy and peace and distraction
God of Hackers
God of Unity
Old websites that haven't been updated since the 90s
The Dark Web
You've heard of computer viruses! Now introducing: Computer Weeds!!!!!!
- bits of code that clump together in ways that slowly grow, and are also beautiful.
- Imagine futures of computer JUNGLES that are dense and impassible to humans, in which lurk wildlife, made visible and tangible by AR??
- But here is just the beginning, with the weeds in the cracks in the sidewalks.
- We just start to notice that there are more than usual, is all.
It started with the weeds between the cracks in the sidewalks.
- ROOTS—searching, with a kind of awareness and intelligence to them
- Not being controlled by humans, controlled by themselves.
- Plants are cool
Weather is the result of lots of seemingly unrelated small systems influencing each other and creating massive powerful events that are impossible to control
- Color changing sky—a first indicator that something weird is up
- AR only weather along with our AR only plants
- Can't be the main thing, because it can't be influenced once its started. Needs to be out outward thing that correlates to big events that people DO have power over
- Overcoming weather, the natural hostility of an environment — as we create the internet, its nature is created by us, its hostility is our making — climate change metaphor
The summer solstice JUNE 21
The spring equinox March 20
Coding as a Hard Magic system
limitations: knowledge, hardware?
items of power! — learn about blockchain, uniqueness in code
ex, using plant magic might kill all the pants in your vicinity
- Corporate stuff — extremely unmagical
The longer its been since a website's code has been touched, the more weird dust it accumulates and the more magic it becomes
- Easter eggs — sometimes devs put them there, sometimes they just sort of happen…
- Viral stuff — entities of great but brief power
- The mass of the collective
- Fandom — hype built by humans giving power but also form
giant event of unknown creation or purpose, presented with ideas of “chosen one” and saving the future
- AR scavenger hunt by an unknown source for an unknown goal
- The power human spirit, on a mission preventing dystopia, everyone is the "chosen one"
- not random—exists for a reason
- Weight scales at movie theaters and rest stops
- A pamphlet slid underneath an apartment door
- Empty lots
- Invisible doors to the 2nd floor apartments above street-level stores
- Quarter dispenser machines filled with weird stuff
MIX IT UP
this is getting too sparkly and green, need some umami
- a juicy peach
- the desert
- pumpkin pie
- chaotic storms